[GSoC] Progress Report

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Jun 4 20:23:52 UTC 2017

Dear Zero King,

On 4 June 2017 at 14:49, Zero King wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GSoC coding phrase has begun and I'm implementing a CI bot that runs on
> Travis CI and tests pull requests.
>
> My project includes two bots, the CI bot testing pull requests and the
> PR bot assigning labels to PRs and notify maintainers.
>
> The design docs are available at https://github.com/l2dy/mpbot-design,
> but the code is not functional yet so I'm not sharing it for now.

Thank you very much for the update.

There's one thing I didn't fully understand:

https://github.com/l2dy/mpbot-design/blob/master/cibot.md#interaction-with-ci-bot

> "This design is aimed for traceability, we can find the exact GitHub user who submitted a malicious PR."

I understand that you can neither trust the author's nor committer's
email from the git commit history, but doesn't GitHub provide a
reliable information about who submitted the pull request? Of course
one can have a stolen identity (username/password or key), but I
probably don't understand at which point you wanted to identify the
user submitting a PR. Or did you want to identify user trying to chat
with the bots?

You asked about extraction of list of ports which is currently a combination of
    https://github.com/macports/macports-infrastructure/blob/f79cc559611e5f42dd26808f38cd0750beee12bf/buildbot/master.cfg#L32
and list-subports in mpbb. I guess the first function could be
implemented in mpbb instead. And maybe mpbb could get some more
branching (if-else statements) depending on whether it runs for
"production" (buildbot) or "testing" (Travis). Or maybe some
functionality from mpbb could even move to the MacPorts core.

> My schedule next week is to finish `port install` testing in the CI bot
> and publish its code.

Looking forward to it :)

Thanks again for the update,
    Mojca