Are macports builds prevented from accessing /dev/random ?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 13 21:51:07 UTC 2017

Hi,

turning off the sandbox fixed the build, so this definitely is the issue….

I agree requiring access to /dev/random during the build is a bit weird, but actually does make some sense in this case, the script being run is generating an example output ROOT file for the tutorials, which includes filling some histograms and tuples with random numbers.

Is it possible to flag at a port level that access to some areas is OK for certain ports ? To be honest I would be surprised if there was, as it would potentially allow ports to start turning off the protections the sandbox provides willy nilly, but I thought I would ask ?

Failing that, yes, could we add /dev/random to the list of allowed areas ? Odd yes, but in this case does make some sense…

cheers Chris