[GSoC] migration

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Wed Jun 14 03:47:32 UTC 2017

Hi

Please see inline.

> While the first one seems to be more realistic from user's perspective
> > but running it every time is also not a good idea since OS/hardware
> > changes are not frequent. I suggest running the detection for changes in
> > architecture before a set of some commands like install, sync,
> > selfupdate etc. The second option is actually on-top-of-head type
> > solution which assumes the user to be aware of any arch changes by
> > himself and thus, is actually not "recommending". Please suggest a way
> > to proceed.
> >
> > Also, is there any existing action which checks for changes in the
> > environment which I can use as a reference. I checked selfupdate but it
> > only checks how old port definitions are. Is it sufficed to check for
> > universal_arch/build_arch like options in `macports.conf` file,
> > comparing it with `uname -a` or `env` command outputs. How rigorous we
> > need the detection to be?
>
> Such a check already exists, which is executed an every initialization
> of the macports1.0 package. As this is just a simple compare of the OS

Okay, since there's already a OS comparison made, which I think can be
directly used here. But to clarify, just the OS check? a check on
x86_64/ppc changes is also needed.

You're pointing to mportinit procedure. A noob doubt here, does mportinit
get invoked on every command because I guess not. I walked throught the
Clemens video again but couldn't figure out.

So, if it does, then recommending a migration is already there, then all we
need to do is to point out the next action to the user. But If it doesn't
run on every port command, I'll raise it in the meeting today.

version, it is no problem to run this every time. Currently it prints a
> link to the Migration wiki page:
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/e3a0dc2ebde62
> a9c5feac6a1edee1708a95bb02a/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl#L651-L656

It can be changed to suggest user to run new migration commands now instead
of a link.

--
Umesh Singla