Travis and "rebase before commit"

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Jun 22 05:57:32 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm so super grateful that we now have a working Travis setup :)

As I suspected, there would be "problems" that we wouldn't be able to
discover on a test setup and this is one of them.

It's not really important to fix, but I wanted to mention it.

Link:
https://travis-ci.org/macports/macports-ports/builds/245646036

Explanation:

What I do now for each PR is a totally cumbersome procedure:

GH_USER=...
GH_REMOTEBR=...
GH_LOCALBR=p-${GH_USER}-${GH_REMOTEBR}

git fetch git://github.com/$GH_USER/macports-ports.git $GH_REMOTEBR
git checkout -b $GH_LOCALBR FETCH_HEAD
git rebase master

git push -f git://github.com/$GH_USER/macports-ports.git
$GH_LOCALBR:$GH_REMOTEBR
git push origin $GH_LOCALBR:master

The problem is that I would force push to the PR branch seconds or
subseconds before pushing to the master branch to make the PR look
merged rather than closed.

Now this is a problem for Travis: it will "helpfully" try to build the
PR again which neither does any good to us (harmless, but useless) nor
succeeds if the push to master happens fast enogh.

I cannot think of a good workaround for that though, except if Travis
detects that the PR has already been deleted and won't report a
failure, but that won't be any more useful either.

I wouldn't worry about this too much, but I wanted to mention it.

Mojca