gcc & libgcc 6/7/8

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Fri Jun 30 14:33:23 UTC 2017

I'm new to the *GCC* ports, so I don't know why libgcc# is not matched
with gcc#. Seems like it would be possible to install libgcc# into
$prefix/lib/libgcc#/ , so that one could have all of the various gcc#'s
installed at the same time without conflicting. But, then I've never
tried & this certainly could make issues with linking / runtime making
sure the correct library is used. And, there's also the redundancy
issues, for if gcc[4-6] can use the same libgcc then why install a new
one for each? I was going to try this route, leaving "libgcc" to be for
gcc[4-6] and then matching libgcc7 with gcc7 and libgcc8 with gcc8, as
well as installing into separate directories to see if that worked. I
might still give this a go since it's mostly just time waiting for *gcc*
to build. Sorry I can't give better answers! Maybe Ryan knows better? -
MLD