clang-3.8 crashes dsymutil with -gdwarf-4 on 10.9

Mihai Moldovan ionic at macports.org
Wed Mar 1 06:49:01 UTC 2017

On 01.03.2017 04:19 AM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> What's the output of this on your system:
>
>    /usr/bin/dsymutil --version

@(#)PROGRAM:dsymutil  PROJECT:dwarfutils-119

(Incidentally matches the path in the program's assertion, I just noticed.)

> I don't see the issue using current versions (llvm-3.8+, Xcode 8.x) of llvm-dsymutil.  I suspect the issue here is that we should be updating the driver to use its llvm-dsymutil instead of /usr/bin/dsymutil.

Well, yes. Your dsymutil is newer - mine's from Xcode 6.2.

You're right - llvm-dysmutil-mp-3.* works fine on binaries compiled with our
clang versions, although I haven't tested all combinations, just
llvm-dsymutil-mp-3.x with clang-mp-3.x with x being the same number.

However, I have noticed that LLVM's dsymutil does not behave like Apple's
dsymutil based upon its version. For instance, the LLVM 3.7-based dsymutil
creates a dSYM file, while 3.8 and newer create a dSYM directory, like Apple's
dsymutil.

> Please file a ticket.

Okay, but where exactly? MacPorts or LLVM upstream? It's probably best to always
make the driver use the LLVM-based dsymutil version, so uptream?

Mihai