Timeout on the buildbot (wa: binary packages missing

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Mar 4 21:36:33 UTC 2017

On 4 March 2017 at 21:52, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 4 March 2017 at 20:20, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On 4 March 2017 at 20:12, Mark Moll wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For one of the packages I maintain, ompl, there are no recent binary packages, despite the port being redistributable. I suspect it’s due to a build time-out. The Python binding generation for the C++ library can take an hour or two during which very little output is generated. Is it possible to force an increase in build time for a particular build?
>>
>> Let's wait for a quiet moment at buildbots, rerun a build of that port
>> and see what happens.
>
> https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.12_x86_64-watcher/builds/4029
> https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.12_x86_64-builder/builds/22307

Indeed, it's a timeout issue.

By far the easiest thing to do would be to force the command to
produce some output, but I don't know if there's anyone you could ask
to let you do it (some verbose option being passed to a command ...).
No output for 20 minutes is indeed a bit suspicious.

See:
http://docs.buildbot.net/latest/manual/cfg-buildsteps.html#using-shellcommands

timeout: if the command fails to produce any output for this many
seconds, it is assumed to be locked up and will be killed. This
defaults to 1200 seconds. Pass None to disable.

So we can disable it for all ports (and then experience serious
problems when there will be infinite loops or some hanging involved).
Another possible solution would be to introduce a checkbox (or another
text field that accepts numeric values for timeout) and then trigger
the build manually with that checkbox enabled for the ports where this
is known to be a problem? Do you have any better suggestions?

Please open a Trac ticket (with "buildbot" as a keyword) and provide
some suggestions about the best way to deal with this problem in case
you cannot solve it in a different way.

We had that problems with git checkouts, but we added some flags to
produce some output, I think.

Mojca