Prevent MacPorts editing .bash_profile

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 22 13:55:01 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-22 07:48, Jan Stary wrote:
> As discussed currently on -users, here is a diff
> that stops postflight messing with the user's config
> and edits the correspondng parts of installing.xml

As I said on macports-users, the output from the postflight script will
not be shown to the user. Users will simply not see any change in behavior.

Changing the documentation alone is not enough, because users expect
this to work in this way. Removing the automatic editing of PATH in the
profile would be a regression. Especially as this was added because
users were not able to set up the environment variables correctly.

Previously it was suggested to make this a checkbox in the installer.
This would be a much better solution, but I do not know if this would be
possible.

Rainer