GSOC Application

Chinmaya Bhat chinmaya.bhat1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 14:04:39 UTC 2017

Hi,
I am Chinmaya, a third-year Computer Science student at BMSIT, Bangalore. I
am new to MacPorts. I can code in C and Python and am going through the Tcl
tutorial on the GSOC wiki.
I have installed MacPorts and am reading the documentation provided.

I'm interested in implementing the task "Improve fetching from version
control" and I have read through the trac ticket
<https://trac.macports.org/ticket/16373> provided with it.

However, I dont understand how to implement it.
Where are the distfiles and work dir located?
Do I need to edit the Portfile of every application individually to check
for the latest working copy?
Also, do I need to know cvs/svn/hg/bzr ? I know git and nothing about the
rest.

Thanks,
Chinmaya
IRC : chinmayasb