port search --maintainer[s]

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Mar 31 00:07:15 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-30 23:44, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Mar 30 21:06:59, raimue at macports.org wrote:
>> On 03/30/2017 06:18 PM, Jan Stary wrote:
>>> This is 2.4.99 from git running on 10.6.8.
>>> The 'port search' recognizes '--maintainer' and '--maintainers',
>>> but the guide says '--maintainer' and '--maintainer'
>>> while port-search.1 only says '--maintainer'.
>>> Attached please find a diff for each.
>>
>> Note that all long options can be shortened as long as they are unique, so you
>> could even use 'port search --maint foobar'.
>
> $ port search --maint mandoc
> Error: "port search --maint" is ambiguous:
>   port search --maintainer
>   port search --maintainers

Sorry, that's what happens when I do not test my examples...

>> Maybe we want to simplify the code
>> and leave out the explicit singular forms (although we cannot do that for
>> "categories")?
>
> I don't understand why there is more then one at all.

In natural language you would use either singular or plural, depending
on the way it is used in a query. The port command just tries to be as
convenient as possible.

> Anyway, the "--maintainer, --maintainer" in the guide cannot be right,
> and the port-search manpage does mention e.g. *--variant*, *--variants*::
> so why should --maintainer(s) be different?

I did not mean that this was right. Apparently the other cases are
already covered, so I just applied these changes.

https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/9de94319489d80b9aacff5f05b92375c7673c56c

https://github.com/macports/macports-guide/commit/663338ef8d442e4908f21ac7d04d7ba368cef4c7

Rainer