GSoC Proposal

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Mar 31 18:23:47 UTC 2017

Hello,

On 2017-03-31 17:43, Zero King wrote:
> I'd like to implement a bot in Go dealing with pull requests for
> macports-ports on GitHub and utilize Travis CI to test PRs and commits
> in GSoC 2017.
>
> More details in my draft:
> https://gist.github.com/l2dy/420533b821570e26dc7374898c3264fb
>
> Any advice is welcome and since this is a new idea I'm seeking for
> potential mentors.

First of all, great to see a proposal coming from you as a project member!

We do not have anything else in Go yet, so this would be new to our
infrastructure. I am a bit hesitant with that, because even after this
GSoC, we will need someone to maintain this service. Personally, I also
know next to nothing about Go.

The other details given in the proposal are still quite sparse. I do not
yet see everything this project includes and how you will use the time
for the proposed task. Remember the GSoC program is meant to keep you
working for 12 weeks.

Could you give us a timeline? Do you have any milestones, especially for
the midterm evaluation? What will be the status at the end of GSoC this
summer? Is your plan to have it fully deployed already?

How will the bot work in detail? I guess listening to the webhooks?
Where will it get its database for the maintainers? Or do you intend to
parse the submitted/modified Portfile?

What will the scripts for Travis CI be written in? Can we reuse code
from the buildbot infrastructure, namely mpbb [1] which is written in
bash shell script? What are steps you will take to implement this
functionality?

Rainer

[1] https://github.com/macports/mpbb