macports-ports/Readme.md (was Re: LICENSE for macports-ports)

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Wed May 17 13:33:51 UTC 2017

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 8:50 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 19, 2017, at 6:58 AM, Zero King <l2dy at macports.org> wrote:
>> I submmitted a PR to macports-ports adding a LICENSE file
>> (https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/287). Please review.
>
> Also, neither the -base or -ports reposititories [1] have a README at the top level.  Having such would be a little friendlier for casual visitors.

I’ve drafted a Readme.md for macports-ports.

If I commit it, will it cause any problems for the buildbots?

My proposed text is simply:

==========
## MacPorts Ports
This repository contains the source definitions for the open source software packages offered through MacPorts.

### What software is available?
See: <https://www.macports.org/ports.php>
Or: `port search <somename>`

### How do I install a port?
Install MacPorts: <https://www.macports.org/install.php>
In Terminal, enter `sudo port install <someport>`

### Problems?
Try `sudo port diagnose`
Get further help on our mailing list or via IRC: <https://www.macports.org/contact.php>

### Documentation