[GSoC 2017] Community Bonding

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at gmail.com
Mon May 22 19:22:55 UTC 2017

Hi

I have written two introductory posts on my blog [0] on Blogger. I thought
I shared the link to it in the proposal but no, I didn't. The one is just
when the results got announced and other about my take on the macports-base
video.

About the project, so the `restore`, `snapshot` and `migrate` actions are
going to the action_array list [1]. While the flow was made clear in the
proposal, I think the first step should be to decide on an exhaustive list
of arguments/flags these 3 actions can possibly take. This will help to
design the procedures.

Also, should we keep the code in a different Tcl script migrate.tcl like
`reclaim`? and code dealing with the database is going to be in C in
cregistry's sql.c [2], right? (like Tcl calling registry2.0 code
currently?)

All this is still trivial. What worries me most is the testing part. I'm
not sure Brad, how are we going to take on the testing phase. We can
virtually change specifications to see if the script works or compare the
two docker images? Also, it needs a set of tests that should include all
combinations of variants, requested-activate-deactivate scenarios. This is
one big task to be considered.

Guide me to the first step, thanks. It'd be great if you want to have a
FaceTime or Skype. I think after 0900 (UTC -8) would suit you best?

[0]: http://umeshsingla.blogspot.in/
[1]: https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/master/
src/port/port.tcl#L4264
[2]: https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/master/