Port hanging (unresponsive to Ctrl+C, need SIGKILL)

Leonardo Brondani Schenkel leonardo at schenkel.net
Thu May 25 07:29:49 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-24 23:47, Clemens Lang wrote:
> I've previously seen builds using xcodebuild in particular hanging after
> they were apparently done. In the cases I've seen so far xcodebuild
> eventually terminated itself after quite a bit of time.
>
> Did you try sending the kill signal to the xcodebuild process only, or
> was that already terminated at this point?

It's already terminated. This is the process that remains:
91761 macports /opt/local/libexec/macports/bin/tclsh8.5
/opt/local/bin/port -d install +logo

I can see a single child under it:
91820 macports (sh)
I cannot kill process 91820, even with sudo kill -9.

I just noticed now that if I'm patient and I wait long enough (~3
minutes), the build actually "recovers" and continues.

I'm a bit lost here. The upstream shell build script, which runs a
virtually identical `xcodebuild` command as this port, does not exhibit
this behaviour.

I can provide build logs. I did not attach them here since I'm not sure
if it is regular practice to send attachments to the list.

Any help would be much appreciated,
// Leonardo.