streamline github dev process

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed May 31 16:41:37 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-31 18:25, Zero King wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 06:09:44PM +0200, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> On 2017-05-31 16:38, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>> 0) The wiki currently includes the following:
>>>
>>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit
>>>
>>> I presume we would adapt your Gist to become something like
>>> “WorkingWithGitHubPullRequests”?  I think the current page would be
>>> unweildy if the gist was tacked on.
>>
>> Isn't the process already described there?
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#WorkingwithsomeoneelsespullrequestthroughitsID
>>

> Pushing to PR submitter's branch is missing there and PR would *not* be
> marked as merged unless it's a fast-forward merge.

You do not have to push to the PR branch, marking it as closed is
covered with the "Closes: #xx" line.

> I'm not sure if we should keep all these on a single wiki page. It would
> be really lengthy.

Agreed. There is quite a lot of general information on git mixed with
information on the way we work at MacPorts.

I propose to split the sections on "Common git tasks" for ports/base to
their own wiki pages:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#Commongittaskswhileworkingwithports

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#CommongittaskswhileworkingwithMacPortsbase

Rainer