streamline github dev process

Helmut K. C. Tessarek tessarek at evermeet.cx
Wed May 31 22:18:52 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-31 11:55, Zero King wrote:
> We disabled "squash and merge" on GitHub's web interface so we have to
> do `git merge --squash` locally to complete the typical workflow, much
> harder than clicking a button twice.

In certain circumstances (some ppl love to spread out one change into
several commits) I like to squasch commits. I don't really use the web
UI for anything, because I only use the git command line.

Otherwise I rather have more commits than only one. One commit per
change. A lot of people use one commit for several changes, which makes
it very complicated to back something out.

> As such, my personal preference would be that PRs stay in a clean state
> (ready for "rebase and merge"), so the typical workflow would worth a
> separate Gist. Perhaps I should write about resolving conflicts with
> `git mergetool` in another Gist too.

I don't how you guys handle this, but I like to use --no-ff for merge
commits.

Also, I have noticed that whenever you guys commit my PRs, my gpg
signature is gone. I believe we should find a proper way to handle this.

Cheers,
 K. C.

--
regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek