streamline github dev process

Helmut K. C. Tessarek tessarek at evermeet.cx
Wed May 31 22:19:07 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-31 13:11, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> One other (more radical) idea would be to split the ports tree into
> two - one where changes are auto-committed if they pass certain tests
> (lint ok, buildbot ok, test suite ok), and the 'curated' tree where
> someone has done a review and merged from the auto-committed one. I
> don't know if a universe where that exists is better, though (it
> would be pretty trivial to create a Portfile that could pass
> automated checks but do something bad if run on an end-user's
> machine).

git allows submodules, but they can be a PAIN.

I would like that the buildbots are triggered for a PR. only when my PR
is commited, I can see, if the build actually works. it should be the
other way around: I should be able to verify that the PR really does
what it is intended to do (since we do not have direct access to the
build machines to test stuff).

e.g. if I had write access to the entire repo, I'd still only commit my
own 3 ports - unless somebody specifically asks me to review and test a
new or updated port.

--
regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek
lookup http://pool.sks-keyservers.net for KeyID 0xC11F128D