New docbook-xsl (1.79.2) breaks existing XSL files

Leonardo Brondani Schenkel leonardo at schenkel.net
Mon Nov 6 10:16:07 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-06 10:10, Zero King wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 09:25:47AM +0100, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:
>> Ticket: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55255
>>
>> DocBook XSLs changed their URIs from `sourceforge.net` to
>> `github.com`, which results in existing XML files using the former
>> URIs not able to find the local copy installed by the port. This will
>> trigger a download from the URI or fail if net access is disabled.
>
> They switched to cdn.docbook.org.

Yes, my mistake when writing the e-mail. I got it right on the issue,
though.

>> This could break many existing ports and user XML files. Neomutt for
>> example can no longer be built: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55253
>>
>> I'm writing to the list because this change in upstream might have far
>> reaching implications, and this port has no official maintainer, so I
>> want to bring as much visibility to the issue as possible and discuss
>> a solution.
>
>  From https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55255:
>> make both URIs be supported somehow (not sure if this is even possible)
>
> Fix proposed in https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1004.
> Not sure if this is the best solution though.

I agree with your intent, at least being a pragmatic way of fixing it
until something better comes up.

It's really strange to me that upstream would simply make this change
and suddenly affect all existing DocBook XMLs. This is not the kind of
stuff I would expect in a point release. Later I'll take a look at their
mailing list because there must have been some discussion about that,
and I want to understand their reasoning.

// Leonardo.