Help needed: fix build issue with xdxf_makedict in older platforms

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 08:27:35 UTC 2017

On 2017-11-07, at 12:03 AM, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> On 2017-11-06, at 11:35 PM, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I recently introduced a new port, xdxf_makedict, which built successfully on my box (macOS 10.13) on first try. However, after it got merged I started getting notifications from the buildbots about build failures on 10.12 and older.
>>
>> The first problem, which I now have solved, was that the code was using the EXIT_SUCCESS/EXIT_FAILURE macros in some files without including <cstdlib> first.
>>
>> However, now I started getting other, different failures:
>> - 10.8: https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.8_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/42330/steps/install-port/logs/stdio
>> - 10.7: same problem as 10.8
>> - 10.6: https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.6_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/46675/steps/install-port/logs/stdio
>>
>> The problem is that I cannot replicate any of this, and I don't have any older environment to test. So far I have been fixing the issues "blind" but I have committed two fixes already and I don't want to be committing fixes on top of fixes that might or might not solve the issue, polluting the history in the process.  Could somebody help?
>>
>> This is kind of a fringe program, I have decided to add the port since I could build it on first try and thought it might be useful to others. But now I'm kinda disappointed with the state of the codebase and I'm starting to wonder if adding this was the right call...
>>
>> // Leonardo.
>

> I found this <https://github.com/soshial/xdxf_makedict/issues/13> which looks like the same errors, as a clue. I'll see if I can build it on my 10.6 box.
>
> Ken

So my usual machine is 10.6.8, set up with LibcxxOnOlderSystems, and default compiler is presently clang-3.9.

With that, it built straight through without any trouble:

$ port -v installed xdxf_makedict
 xdxf_makedict @0.4.1-beta1-20171015_0 (active) platform='darwin 10' archs='x86_64' date='2017-11-07T00:21:38-0800'

during the build, I noticed one extra included library

-- Found libintl: /opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib

so perhaps there is a missing dep for port:libiconv

Ken