Do the contributing rules apply just to non-committers?

Leonardo Brondani Schenkel leonardo at schenkel.net
Sun Oct 1 17:41:26 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-27 20:36, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:
> On 2017-09-27 20:18, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Most projects on SourceForge organize their files in folders. If dict
>> is such a project, then you should specify here which folder the file
>> is in, to avoid redirects. See
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/AvoidRedirects
>
>> Assuming LIBTOOL is the file to be run, it should be the absolute path
>> (${prefix}/bin/glibtool).
>
>> The default mode for xinstall is 0755, i.e. executable. Conf files
>> should not be executable, so you should specify mode 0644 (-m 0644).
>>
>> Moreover, users are expected to edit conf files, but by installing the
>> file in this way, it is registered to the port, which means any user
>> customizations will be lost if the port is deactivated or upgraded.
>> Instead, you should install a sample conf file, and print instructions
>> telling the user how to copy that sample conf file to the real one.
>> See https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#configfiles
>
> Thanks for the input. Will submit a PR.

After replying to your message (within minutes) that I was going to
submit the PR (which I did the next day [1] since it was late on my time
zone) you felt the need, one day after I opened the PR and explicitly
notified you in the PR for review, to go ahead and commit directly to
the port — which created a conflict that I'm the one that has to fix if
I want to get the PR merged.

[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/842

I know this is a very small thing in isolation but it's also not the
first time it happens [2]. It's just the attitude that rubs me off the
wrong way, if you forgive me being totally honest. I know I'm just a
nobody and a small-time contributor here, and I really hope that one day
I can achieve 1% of the impact that you do because I have nothing but
admiration for your work for MacPorts — but I really have to say that I
was expecting a little bit more in the way of courtesy. It is not very
encouraging to the "second tier" of contributors to be volunteering time
to this project when they perceive that their time is not valued in the
same way, and the rules they have to follow are different.

[2] https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/415

The reason I'm posting this is because if I said nothing this would be a
pattern that will keep repeating and frustrating me in the process, not
because I want to personally attack you. This is a great project and I
want to keep contributing, in case I'm welcome. Plus I want to figure
out if I have completely wrong expectations about how things should work
— in which case I will promptly apologize, shut up and try to educate
myself.

// Leonardo.