Dealing with Xcode 9 + macOS <= 10.12 and missing functions

Leonardo Brondani Schenkel leonardo at schenkel.net
Mon Oct 2 07:19:01 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-02 08:50, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> If you have mismatched SDK/host versions *AND* you do not have the DevSDK installed, we err out.

You mean that's the intent moving forward? Because I fit into this
description and MacPorts *does not* error out today.

I know I'm entering unsupported territory when I chose not to install
the Command Line Tools; it's just that at least for the ports that I
usually install, they all worked just fine with Xcode alone and in
general I try to avoid installing things I strictly don't need. The last
time I installed the CLT was around 2-3 years ago. In the rare case
something does not work, I actually try to fix the port and submit the
changes.

I'm writing this not to ask for support, but to understand better the
work that is being done and what's intended for the future. My
understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the project wants to
drop the CLT requirement at some point in the future; in that case, it
seems that an exact match between Xcode SDK and the host system becomes
more important that it is now. At the very least a warning seems
appropriate in that case, because users might not be aware of the
mismatch. Just my two cents.

// Leonardo.