check for os and xcode version

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 6 06:18:11 UTC 2017

On Oct 5, 2017, at 23:46, Helmut K. C. Tessarek wrote:

> On 2017-10-05 21:46, Joshua Root wrote:
>> Well, it depends on the nature of the problem. Newer versions of Xcode
>> routinely break some C++ code by shipping a newer clang++ which complies
>> more closely with the C++ standards, for example, and that's not really
>> something that Apple should fix, since the code was really incorrect all
>> along.
>
> In such a case I totally agree with you.
>
>> What kind of breakage are we talking about exactly?
>
> Please have a look at the following thread (takes 2 minutes):
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tmux-users/ct7nAv8cYm4
>
> So, basically, everything is fine on my machine, since I'm running
> 10.11.6. The next guy runs 10.12.6 (or 10.13) and Xcode 9 and all of a
> sudden it blows up.

I don't see a lot of information in that thread.

I see Jason's report that tmux says "lost server" on macOS 10.12.6 with Xcode 9 if any config file is used. If merely launching tmux is what's exhibiting that problem for Jason, then I can't reproduce that.

There's a reply from Nicholas that it "seems most likely to be a bug in fparseln on your platform". If that's true, then someone should report it to Apple, but it might be worthwhile for the developers to try to reproduce and analyze the problem themselves a bit first.