What is the best way to access binaries outside of the standard MacPort path

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 13 09:49:43 UTC 2017

On Oct 13, 2017, at 03:56, Joël Brogniart wrote:

> I maintain two local ports for tools that use Latex (dblatex and auto-multiple-choice). These tools could either use Latex from MacPorts' TexLive or another Latex installation so they have a variant for a non Macports Latex.
>
> For these tool be used with Latex, some parts should be installed in the Latex hierarchy. There is no problem with MacPorts installation of TexLive, but with an external installation, the install phase should access to tools (mktexlsr and mtxrun) that are not in the MacPorts path.
>
> For now, I modify the binpath variable in the macports.conf file to add the path for the binaries of the external latex installation.

Last I heard, this is what we recommend. Add the external LaTeX installation's path to binpath. Ports that use LaTeX binaries should declare their dependencies on the appropriate texlive port using the "bin:<binaryname>:" prefix instead of the "port:" prefix so that if an external LaTeX is installed, the corresponding MacPorts texlive port won't get installed.