git password

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Sat Oct 21 11:44:18 UTC 2017

> On Oct 21, 2017, at 2:04 AM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 20, 2017, at 20:10, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2017-10-21 08:00 , Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>> Lately, I have to enter my github username and password every time I commit; git used to just remember these.  I suppose it is in a hidden config file somewhere but I don’t know where.
>>> Could some kind soul please give me directions in suitably small words for someone of limited git understanding?  ;)
>>
>> You want git installed with the credential_osxkeychain variant, which is default. Then you want this in your git config:
>>
>> [credential]
>> 	helper = osxkeychain
>>
>> Then it should Just Work (at most you might get a Keychain unlock dialog).
>>
> Note that credential.helper=osxkeychain is the default when using git provided by Xcode.  If you recently installed the git project in MacPorts (or elsewhere), that might explain why you're now entering your password.

(Top posting munged.)

I’m using MacPorts-provided git with the defaults:

$ port installed git
  git @2.13.0_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
  git @2.13.1_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
  git @2.13.2_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24
  git @2.14.2_0+credential_osxkeychain+doc+pcre+perl5_24 (active)

Found a page on this credential.helper:

https://help.github.com/articles/caching-your-github-password-in-git/

Do I maybe need to do:  'git config --global credential.helper osxkeychain' ?

Craig
(Have to run now.)