Could someone review ticket #55106

Andrew L. Moore slewsys at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 14:43:29 UTC 2017

Hi Joël,
As someone who, in a moment of pique, once railed against MacPorts texlive implementation, I’ll offer my two cents.

The patch looks fine.  The problem is the precedent that it sets.  There are many other ports that could benefit from similar extensions.

The principal weakness of MacPorts' texlive implementation, in my opinion, is the absence of tlmgr(1) for updating sources as they’re released on CTAN. Eventually, I’d like to try addressing that since I expect patching tlmgr(1) would be easier than trying to update all MacPorts that could benefit from supporting alternative TeX distributions.

It might also be worth looking into having CTAN TeX Live recognize MacPorts’ implementation with the ability of switching between them.

The bottom line is that Mojca Miklavec, who I believe is the current maintainer of MacPorts’ texlive, has done a great a job.  There is more work to be done, but it will take more than a single patch to a single port.  If your patch is accepted, great.  Otherwise, keep it in your private branch and know that we’re all working towards future improvements.
-AM