ocaml ports need love

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Oct 24 23:07:35 UTC 2017

On 24 October 2017 at 06:10, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 21:03:45 -0400 "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:26:59 -0500 Marius Schamschula wrote:
>> > Perry,
>> >
>> > Since February almost (all?) ocaml ports have been nomaintainer,
>> > as mww relinquished maintainership.
>> >
>> > See:
>> > https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/2e31448cc2f8f2cbf65766288d2a8cafb738e5b8
>> >
>> > Volunteers welcome!
>>
>> I'll take temporary ownership of the lot if no one else is willing,
>> but please list maintainers as me + openmaintainer, because I have
>> no trouble with others pitching in.
>>
>> It's going to be necessary to add a separate port for ocamlbuild and
>> some other tools in order to do the needed updates. What's the right
>> procedure if several things need to be updated in sync?
>
> Oh, and just to be clear, I don't have commit access to the repo, so
> if I'm going to get assigned ownership, someone else will need to do
> it for me.

That's the usual way to start contributing. Just fork the
macports-ports repository on GitHub and try to add the necessary
changes to your own branch in your repository where you add your
obfuscated email and github handle (along with openmaintainer) to the
list of maintainers.

Then submit a pull request to get feedback. (It's perfectly ok to
include changes for multiple ports in the same pull request. It can be
split into multiple commits as suited.)

Once you get sufficient mileage you can apply for commit rights, but
you don't need them to start maintaining a port. If you don't get
feedback soon enough, just ping the developers on IRC or on this
mailing list.

Mojca