[MacPorts] Migration modified

Thomas R. Murphy trm70 at case.edu
Sat Sep 2 01:07:30 UTC 2017

Re-sending to have the message go to the list:

Hello all,

As a long-time user of MacPorts, I've migrated a few times a memory from
one of those times was how disastrously poorly the migration went. Be it
my fault in following the directions or a problem with my setup, I ended
up hard-uninstalling everything and reinstalling ports from memory/as I
re-discovered needing them. Since then, I have actively sought out this
set of instructions. My edits were to bring the instructions into a
proactive position, knowing that the installed ports need to be logged
and reinstalled, versus a reactive position, having MacPorts not work
and direct you to the wiki page.

Better documenting on the Migration wiki page to express the full
context of the instructions would be useful. It may also be valuable to
include at least a link to the Migration page as an "Uncommon Tasks"
relative to https://guide.macports.org/chunked/using.common-tasks.html .
This would give users more exposure to the process *before* they ever
needed to use it rather than discovering additional effort as (some?)
ports are broken and MacPorts requires a full reinstall to get a
functioning system back.

Of course, it would be best if MacPorts could handle the majority of the
OS-change work and the documentation was almost as short as "Upgrade OS,
run `sudo port <some upgrade task>`, and let everything reinstall."

Meanwhile, while writing this email, I found an additional deficiency in
the current process in which re-setting the requested status doesn't
work reliably. I look forward to continuing to improve the documentation
once the overall structure of this page is decided on.

Thomas R. Murphy (thomas.russell.murphy at case.edu, trm70 at case.edu)
GPG Key ID: 959D48BF