Appropriateness for inclusion in MacPorts

Andrew L. Moore slewsys at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 13:23:23 UTC 2017

Hi Aaron,
I'm not a MacPorts maintainer, but one of MacPorts’s features is that building custom ports is very easy, especially compared to other port implementations.  If you’re familiar with git, create a local branch of the ports tree and add custom ports to your heart's content.  Once you’ve created a new port, run portindex(1) to make it visible to the rest of the system.

Regarding fonts, they seem to be mixed in with various other ports, e.g., TeX.  MacPorts doesn’t generally install into system directories, so if wanted, e.g., to install to /Library/Fonts under macOS, you could certainly achieve that with a custom port, but I don’t think that it would be accepted for inclusion to MacPorts (?)

Hope that helps!
-AM