State of the GnuPG ports

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Sep 5 18:21:06 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-04 23:17, Leonardo Brondani Schenkel wrote:
> My suggestion for how MacPorts should handle this, moving forward, and
> to reduce disruption:
>
> - port "gnupg" stays the same
> - port "gnupg2" becames 2.2.x and installs as $prefix/bin/gpg, and a
> symlink in $prefix/bin/gpg2 for backwards compatibility and to satisfy
> existing ports
> - port "gnupg21" is made obsolete with a note to install "gnupg2"

With the obsolete port group and the replaced_by option this can be
fully automated.

Of course gnupg and gnupg2 then need to be marked conflicting and
dependencies need to read path:bin/gpg:gnupg to allow both ports to
satisfy them. In most cases, the command line interface is still
compatible or dependents will detect the version at runtime anyway.

> One advantage of the above is that the status quo will become simpler
> than currently is.
>
> Any thoughts?

Totally in favor. I have been using gnupg21 for a while and had to keep
local modifications for some dependencies.

But let us hear how Mihai as the current maintainer of the gnupg* ports
thinks about that.

Rainer