[GSoC] migration

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Fri Sep 8 21:33:31 UTC 2017

Hi all,

When I run the `migrate` action with only one port (expat) installed, I get
the following:

$ sudo ./bin/port migrate

Taking a snapshot of the current state...

Done: Snapshot '8':'snapshot created for migration' created at 2017-09-08
21:09:21

Migration will first uninstall all the installed ports, upgrade MacPorts
and then reinstall them again. Would you like to continue? [Y/n]: Y

Uninstalling all ports...

Uninstalling: expat

--->  Deactivating expat @2.2.4_0

--->  Cleaning expat

--->  Uninstalling expat @2.2.4_0

--->  Cleaning expat

Upgrading MacPorts...

--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync

MacPorts base version 2.4.99 installed,

MacPorts base version 2.4.1 downloaded.

--->  MacPorts base is outdated, installing new version 2.4.1

Installing new MacPorts release in /GSoC17/macports-test as root:admin;
permissions 0755

Fetching ports to install...

Restoring the original state...

MacPorts Version: 2.4.99

Installing (and activating): expat

--->  Fetching distfiles for expat

--->  Verifying checksums for expat

--->  Extracting expat

--->  Configuring expat

--->  Building expat

--->  Staging expat into destroot

--->  Installing expat @2.2.4_0

--->  Activating expat @2.2.4_0

--->  Cleaning expat

$

Since I have an updated version of registry db (v1.203) as opposed to its
current version (v1.202), I have a doubt if the above should have proceeded
in the way it did. I was expecting it to break after MacPorts base gets
upgraded complaining something of the sort, "Version number in metadata
table is higher than expected".

Does it mean that new port command is not being used for the next step of
installation? Or it's fine because mportinit didn't get initialized again?

- Umesh