[GSoC] migration

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Sep 8 21:43:16 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 2 September 2017 at 15:18, Umesh Singla wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:05 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On 14 June 2017 at 05:47, Umesh Singla wrote:
>> >
>> > Okay, since there's already a OS comparison made, which I think can be
>> > directly used here. But to clarify, just the OS check? a check on
>> > x86_64/ppc
>> > changes is also needed.
>>
>> And potentially cxx_stdlib?
>
> How can such a check be made possible? All we have at present is here, [0].
> It doesn't compare stored values and current platform values. Are you
> suggesting a manual check while migration?
>
> - Umesh
>
> [0]:
> https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/master/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl#L1050-L1057

Well, if we don't store that value yet, we probably should.

What I have in mind is a scenario of a user stuck at a particular OS
version who upgrades MacPorts and the new version of MP makes sure
that that variable is stored. Then the user decides to switch to
libc++. It would be awesome if this process was fully automated and
the ports would all be reinstalled automatically. (But don't ask me
for links to line numbers, I'm not familiar with the core code well
enough.)

Mojca