[GSoC] migration

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Sep 8 22:10:10 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-08 23:33, Umesh Singla wrote:
> When I run the `migrate` action with only one port (expat) installed, I
> get the following:
>
> $ sudo ./bin/port migrate
>
> Taking a snapshot of the current state...
>
> Done: Snapshot '8':'snapshot created for migration' created at
> 2017-09-08 21:09:21
>
> Migration will first uninstall all the installed ports, upgrade MacPorts
> and then reinstall them again. Would you like to continue? [Y/n]: Y

I would like to repeat that upgrading MacPorts from the 'port migrate'
action is not possible. After a major upgrade of macOS we cannot
guarantee that the old version of MacPorts runs at all on this new OS
version. MacPorts has to be reinstalled for the new OS version in an
extra step before.

The best you can do is printing instructions on where to download MacPorts.

Rainer