Restoring from Time Machine backup relocates home directories

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 15 21:47:17 UTC 2017

On Sep 15, 2017, at 13:56, db wrote:

> I ran
>
> dscl . list /Users | grep -v ^_.*
>
> and noticed the user messagebus, so I filtered it from
>
> port cat all
>
> and realised that dbus set it, but MP didn't remove it when uninstalled.
>
> MP should also take care of that.

MacPorts and ports can add users, but MacPorts doesn't remove them. I'm not sure how we could change that. Suppose you install a port that has a user that needs to own some data, such as postresql96-server. You then uninstall the port, which then hypothetically removes the user. Now the databases you created with that port are owned by a userid that doesn't exist anymore. Now you reinstall the port, which creates a postgres user but with a new userid. This creates more work for the user: needing to reassociate files the port needs with the new userid.