Restoring from Time Machine backup relocates home directories

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Sep 16 14:03:01 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-16 11:57, db wrote:
> Shouldn't MP delete it if no files are owned by that user? In any case, it could notify during installation that a user was created and upon uninstallation that a user still owns files (and which) or not, and if not, it could give the option to delete it.

> MP could also checked if the UIDs/GIDs are already in use, before a port creates a user/group.

I am not sure if you are serious here. You would need to recursively
walk all filesystems to find files owned by a particular user.

As you just run it on your system, you know how long that will take.
Clearly not an option to do this before/after every install/uninstall.

And what would you gain from that? A free uid. They are not a scarce
resource, so I do not think the effort would be justified.

Rainer