Gsoc 18 Project | Collect build statistics

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Apr 2 17:24:46 UTC 2018

On 2 April 2018 at 18:50, Vishnu wrote:
> Hi
>
> Here is the basic structure i prepared.
>
> https://jsfiddle.net/3r4vL4L3/5/
>
> And i wanted to know what all am i supposed to show in installation
> statistics mandatorily?
>
> Top port Versions of a month?
> Top os of that port?
> Number of installations versus time ? (of that particular port)
>
> what else?

Just get an inspiration from
    http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/installed_ports
    https://trac.macports.org/wiki/StatisticsIdeas
or from one particular port (which is what your port page should most
likely show):
    http://stats.macports.neverpanic.de/categories/8/ports/587

With those few exceptions:
- The "All versions" cumulated since the beginning of statistics
collection is pretty useless.
- The "All variants" is somewhat controversial (I'm not even sure what
to do with it), but if, then it should be shown as a line chart rather
than pie chart
- I would add OS version and build architecture like you suggested.

I would vote for line charts with time on the x axis for nearly everything.

(Of course we'll need another page for statistics, like OS version
distribution etc that doesn't depend on individual ports, but let's
not bother about that now.)

> Also in the port history table. Should we add another coloumn named os .
> which will store the current os version??

Database table or the table on the website?

If you were asking about the table on the website with build summary,
then I would just replace builder name in that table with OS version +
arch (10.5/ppc, 10.6/i386, 10.6/x86_64, ...). I would slightly change
the wording in "Reason", but that's nitpicking. (I could add some
other minor changes on the list, but they don't feel so important
right now.)

Mojca