CI system for PR builds

db iamsudo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 12:11:08 UTC 2018

On 10 Apr 2018, at 20:07, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
> On 7 April 2018 at 15:45, db wrote:
>> On 7 Apr 2018, at 14:37, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Is buildbot running on your basement???
> Yes (not mine).
> […]
>> Testing and reproducibility, doesn't seem to me as user to be a prime concern in MP.
> We still have a long way to go before we can achieve 100% binary
> reproducibility.
> […]
> What we need right now is mostly *code* (hardware would also help) as
> well as time & effort to help us reduce the number of all those Trac
> tickets, rather than pointing fingers to what MacPorts volunteers are
> not doing.

I won't address every single point and just say that it might be interpreted as finger-pointing, but I'm actually curious about what's the state of the project, how it got where it is, where is it going, should I build always from source, should I use another package manager or complement it with another one, etc. And all these I seem to learn only in the mailing list, which might be annoying, I admit.

>> That streamlined process is what keeps new and updated portfiles in my local repo…
> I have no clue what you wanted to say with this.

It means that ports I submitted like stem and ipfs are not further reviewed, so new portfiles I write I just keep in my local repo and don't bother submitting.