CI system for PR builds

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 12 16:52:05 UTC 2018

On Apr 12, 2018, at 06:59, db wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2018, at 02:04, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> So here is the full plan in detail:
>
> Side note: Wouldn't it be feasible to adjust portfiles based on CI's feedback? Let's say, you have something build on 10.6-10.13, but for whatever reason it fails on 10.9, so that could be reflected in the portfile in order to avoid having users build from source in vain, when the result is already known. Then, when there's a fix for 10.9, that change is reverted.

1. MacPorts does not have a method of declaring that a port does not build on a version of macOS. Such a feature is being discussed:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/15712

In the absence of this feature, we write pre-fetch blocks that manually check the OS version and print an error.

2. A portfile author is welcome (and encouraged) to add such blocks to their portfile to provide a friendlier error message to the user, if we already know in advance that it will not build on their system.

3. There is no plan to have any automated process add such blocks.