CI system for PR builds

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Apr 12 21:22:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-12 20:14, db wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2018, at 18:52, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> 1. MacPorts does not have a method of declaring that a port does not build on a version of macOS. Such a feature is being discussed:
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/15712
>> In the absence of this feature, we write pre-fetch blocks that manually check the OS version and print an error.
>
> Opened 10 years ago. Fat chance, I guess.

Do I have to explain again that we run on volunteers only?
Apparently, nobody volunteered to implement this.

Priority and focus shifts with what people are willing to work on.
This was not that important before. It is now becoming important as we
want to have it on the buildbot.

>> 3. There is no plan to have any automated process add such blocks.
>
> Precisely that I wanted to know. I'd like the powers that be to consider this — delivering portfiles that won't build (in certain platforms) doesn't make much sense.

Please think about the implications first. When a build fails on all
versions, do you automatically want to list them all as unsupported?

It is up to the maintainer (or any contributor) to add the appropriate
list of supported platforms after determining the cause of build
failures, so we will not run the check again next time.

Rainer