port version reports 2.4.2 when built from tag v2.4.3

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Apr 14 22:23:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-13 23:55, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2018-4-14 07:30 , Enrico Maria Crisostomo wrote:
>> Hence, the macports installation that was built from the dirty tree is referring to the installation directory of the previous build.  That also explains why removing that directory makes port crash, as I said in a previous mail.
>
> OK, so the issue is not with switching tags without cleaning at all, but
> configuring for a different prefix without cleaning. The bug is in one
> of Tcl's Makefiles, which compiles tclPkgConfig.c with several -D flags
> using values that are directly substituted into the Makefile by
> autoconf. There should probably be a dependency declared on the Makefile
> itself.

FWIW, I am usually work with multiple worktrees instead of switching
branches in the same directory. That way I can have directories for both
master and release-2.4 side-by-side.

$ pwd
/Users/raimue/src/macports/base
$ git worktree add ../base-2.4 release-2.4
$ cd ../base-2.4
$ cat config/macports_version
2.4.3

See the git manual for the details:
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-worktree

The copy in base-2.4 is also configured to use a different prefix. As
the files of the build system can stay in the filesystem, I do not have
to re-configure all the time. When I want to work on release-2.4, I only
have to change directory in my shell.

Rainer