[macports-base] 01/06: fetch: Always use ${prefix}/bin/git for gitfetch

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 18 03:37:41 UTC 2018

>>> src/port1.0/portfetch.tcl | 14 ++------------
>>> 3 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 54 deletions(-)
>>
>> Again: Why?
>>
>> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2018-March/037750.html
>
> The previous code always used /usr/bin/git, even if the git port was
> installed. Only old versions of macOS got to use the latest version of
> git, while recent versions of macOS were stuck with /usr/bin/git.
>
> That does not seem to be a useful default to me, therefore it made sense
> to me to always use the latest version from ${prefix}/bin/git.

But if /usr/bin/git works... why not use that and save the user the time and disk space? I know we go back and forth on this, whether we should use OS ports when available or always use ports for consistency, but this is one of the situations where thus far we've used the OS binary if it works.

> Is always adding the git port as a dependency too heavy?

It does take a long time to build from source. Building git, in order to check out the infrastructure ports, is, for example, one of the most time-consuming parts of setting up a new buildbot worker.

> One of the remaining points on my to-do list for this branch would be to
> figure out a way to get rid of the dependency on the VCS tools if the
> fetch is tarballable, as the distfile would be available from our mirrors.

Absolutely. Not sure how you'll do it!