Buiid/install stages documentation?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 18 14:14:58 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-18 15:20, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 22:33:10 -0500 Ryan Schmidt
> <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 2018, at 12:39, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>
>>> Just to be clear: I know what is in:
>>> https://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases
>>>
>>> but I'm trying to figure out a bit more detail. In particular, I
>>> _suspect_ what I want is to trick opam into installing its build
>>> products into the destdir, but I'm not sure that's the right
>>> approach.
>>
>> Certainly, at minimum, that would be needed.
>>
>> What else do you want to know?
>>

> Maybe I should ask this a bit differently. Are there other precedents
> for using a "foreign" packaging or build system and tricking it into
> building stuff for macports that I could study and possibly steal
> pieces of?

Not that I am aware of. Most package managers would also install all the
dependencies, something we do not want in a port.

The usual approach is to generate a Portfile from the definition of the
"foreign" package manager and also create ports for all dependencies.

For example, cpan2port or pypi2port in macports-contrib [1,2] do that
for Perl or Python, respectively. They are far from perfect, but are a
great help to get an initial Portfile.

Rainer

[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/tree/master/cpan2port
[2] https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/tree/master/pypi2port