Update port:openssl dependency to path:lib/libssl.dylib:openssl

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Fri Apr 20 16:50:50 UTC 2018

>> Thank you!
>>
>> If I am reading the syntax right, path: as opposed to lib: means
>> that only lib/libssl.dylib (relative path) under $prefix will be used.
>> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/reference.dependencies.html
>> Is that intended?
>
> Yes, that is correct and intentional.
>

>> How was this "misc" subset selected? Was it simply the missing ones?
>> It seems that now all ports use this, with the following exceptions:
>>
>> 	net/qpid-proton (+openssl)	port:openssl
>> 	python/py-grpcio/Portfile:      port:openssl
>>
>> Where these intentionally left out?
>
> They weren't left out. qpid-proton was changed, but then subsequently reverted, for possibly invalid reasons:
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1531#issuecomment-379178034
>
> py-grpcio was not included in Jeremy's commit because it didn't exist at the time; it was added 3 days later:
>
> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1536
>

>> Also, the following require a specific version:
>>
>> 	devel/libpdel			lib:libssl.0.9:openssl
>> 	mail/qpopper			lib:libssl.0:openssl
>> 	mail/sylpheed-devel (+ssl)	lib:libssl.0.9:openssl
>> 	net/jabber			lib:libssl.0.9:openssl
>> 	www/links1 (+ssl)		lib:libssl.0.9:openssl
>>
>> Were these also intentinally left out? (And should
>> ports that require openssl 0.9 be killed with fire?)
>
> It seems unlikely that those ports require openssl 0.9 specifically, but rather that those ports have not been updated since we started recommending the use of port: dependencies instead of lib: dependencies a decade or more ago.

Yeah, the intention was just to update all of them consistently.  It's true that some of those ports might not work with libressl, but IMO it would be better to have a report of the build failure that we can act on to fix than to have port err out because we missed something.  I haven't personally tried every single port (since actually some of them have dependencies that fail to build on my system which I haven't worked through)

Thanks for pointing these out.  I'll take a look through them.  grep doesn't find everything unless you know what you're looking for ;)

--Jeremy