Add a section on license names to the MacPorts guide?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 23 20:24:20 UTC 2018

On Apr 23, 2018, at 14:19, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I'm thinking of adding the following to the MacPorts guide because we
> often have problems with people picking invalid license names in
> Portfile submissions.
>
> That said, I'm not sure this is the best text for it. Thoughts?

I don't want yet another copy of the list of valid licenses, to become out of sync with the others. We already have them on a wiki page. If you want to *move* the list from the wiki page to the guide (leaving the wiki page essentially blank except for a link to the corresponding place in the guide), that would be great.

There was also talk at one point about switching from our somewhat custom license names to an official standard, such as https://spdx.org/licenses/, at which point we wouldn't need to keep our own list, but we're not there yet. (Is anybody working on that?)