GSOC

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Apr 23 20:40:53 UTC 2018

On 23 April 2018 at 19:23, Abhishek Kashyap wrote:
> Why my proposals was rejected.What is the reason behind it?
> I have tried my best.I have given my precious time to create my
> proposals.Reply soon as possible.

Dear Abhishek,

I hope we'll have an opportunity to send a longer response, but in
short: Google only granted us a single slot for GSOC this year.
Compared to the proposal that won that slot, we did not get any chance
to evaluate your skillset based on some sample code or some minimal
proof-of-concept code.

Some further general advice ...

One of the important suggestions for the future: there was
approximately a month of time to submit the proposals. The more time
student and mentors have to improve the proposal, the better the
proposal can get at the end. Submitting the proposal at the very end
of the allocated time window and expecting from mentors to provide an
instant response (within one hour?) is rarely going to work out well.

But we hope to have the ability to participate next year again. By far
the best way to increase your chances to get selected is by
contributing valuable patches to the project well  before the
application deadline. Students who can prove their ability to solve
problems related to the project have almost an "unfair advantage" over
those who just submit a prose. If you start contributing now at a slow
pace, to either this or some other project, you'll have the perfect
mileage by the time for GSOC 2019 to submit an outstanding proposal
backed by plenty patches and expertise.

Mojca