What "openmaintainer" means

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Wed Apr 25 15:51:29 UTC 2018

Great discussion!

My preference for my Openmaintainer ports are probably more conservative / controlling than those listed already. For any change except comment fixing and rev-bumps due to dependency ABI / API changes, I prefer there to be a PR that I can review before committing. I prefer a PR for even minor version updates that just change the version & checksums (no patches or other tweaks required), but certainly even for missing #include's, adding --disable-werror, or the like.

The reason for my preference is that I'm pretty on top of my ports & I test/verify on (currently) 10.5 PPC through 10.13 Intel (actual hardware; not just a VM; 10.4 PPC & 10.5 Intel coming soon). Hence I'm very likely to find and correct any build issues with my ports (and some others) and provide fixes that work across the various OSXs.

When a release update comes out, I'm notified and try to handle it within 24 hours / I do "devel" updates roughly weekly. Someone else could beat me to the update, in which case there can be conflict and my efforts would be wasted (which I clearly dislike). A PR would allow me to drop what/if I'm doing & use the proposed change, with minimal conflict / waste. Given how easy PRs are in git / Github, I see very little downside.

I heartily agree on the 72 hour timeout for any Openmaintainer port, for a patch or PR where at least 1 other maintainer beyond the OP has verified the change.

Thanks for listening; back to work! - MLD