Agility

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 16:23:36 UTC 2018

> I have one request though. You are sometimes asking people to close
> the PRs because you don't want unfinished PRs in the queue. I would
> like to suggest adding a special label to such PRs before closing
> them, saying something like "workneeded". I would occasionally like to
> be able to search for such contributions. These are contributions that
> are basically welcome / needed / acceptable, they only need a bit more
> expertise or just some simple touch before they could be merged. I
> would like to distinguish contributions that are closed because they
> are wrong / obsolete / replaced by another PR, from those that have
> been closed just because the work was not 100% complete, and if
> someone has time to look at them, they could be fixed and merged.

I don't think there is any need to re-invent our own system here. There
is an already standard why of dong this, which is to declare the request
as 'Work In Progress'. This is trivially done by adding 'WIP' to the
start of the PR title.

https://github.com/apps/wip

Doing this should prevent the MR being merged, and make it clear the
author is still working on something, but want to submit the MR now for
other reasons (like not to forget it, or start to get comments etc.). I
use this regularly in other systems at work and it works really well...

We should allow (encourage even) WIP PRs to be submitted, when the work
is in a state that warrants it.

Chris