Binary packages not rebuilding against updated libraries

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Apr 25 19:10:59 UTC 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 10:34:47 -0500 Ryan Schmidt
<ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2018, at 09:02, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:31:04 -0700 Ken Cunningham wrote:
> >> Portfile authors need to manually "revbump" the library's
> >> dependent ports when supporting libraries change significantly.
> >>
> >> It's not automatically figured out by MacPorts.
> >
> > Do we have a Trac issue for having it automatically determined,
> > btw?
>
> I doubt it, since I doubt there's anything we can do about it. How
> would you automate that?

Some other packaging systems will calculate a dependency graph
and then rebuild dependents of a package in the graph under some
criteria (like the bumping of a major revision number for semantic
versioning.) I think the NetBSD pkgsrc system does something like
that. Some are a bit stupider and just rebuild everything dependent.
(opam, for example, does the latter.)

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com