Agility

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Apr 25 19:40:46 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-25 21:02, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 01:19:59 +1000 Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org>
> wrote:
>> On 2018-4-26 00:44 , Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>> I tend to think it's a better way of working but it's up to the
>>> community as a whole to say if it's really the right way to do
>>> things. (If people really don't like it, I can hang back more.)
>>
>> To be clear, I have no problem at all with you (or anyone else)
>> merging things if the maintainer has not said otherwise after 72
>> hours.
>
> But apparently 72 hours is the rule in general, even without
> "openmaintainer" being set. It still doesn't tell us what the
> practical difference is between "openmaintainer" and a closed
> port.

This seems a problem that only occurs in the context of pull requests.

I think the openmaintainer policy was intended for changes coming from
other project members and not necessarily for patches coming from
external contributors. openmaintainer allows other project members to
push changes directly to master, without explicit approval by the
maintainer.

Pull requests are like the original workflow in which patches are
attached to a ticket on Trac. That ticket would either be handled by the
maintainer or run into maintainer timeout. It does not seem common that
another project member takes a patch from a ticket and pushes the change
under the openmaintainer policy before the maintainer timeout is over.

Of course, in the original workflow that also involves more than just
the press of a button...

Rainer