Binary packages not rebuilding against updated libraries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 25 22:34:16 UTC 2018

On Apr 25, 2018, at 17:14, Jan Stary wrote:

> On Apr 25 10:34:47, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Do we have a Trac issue for having it automatically determined, btw?
>>
>> I doubt it, since I doubt there's anything we can do about it.
>> How would you automate that?
>
> Keep a record of what depends on what (as packaging managers do).
> If A depends on B, and B has been rebuilt, reduild A too.
> No "revision bump"; port A as such has not changed.

MacPorts does not do that, because that would be extremely wasteful, because most updates of B do not require a rebuild of A. Only those updates of B that cause it to have a new library version require a rebuild of A. We currently require the developer who updated B to have a new library version to manually revbump A to rebuild it.