What "openmaintainer" means

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Wed Apr 25 22:49:43 UTC 2018

It seems that maintainership is regarded as a status symbol in MP:
the guy who sleeps with this Portfile. That's strange.
Anyone can improve a port, be it a typo or a fundamental fix.

Instead, it's supposed to be a responsibility.
Out of all the people who can better this port for fun and profit,
this guy actualy takes that on as a duty. (Presumably because he
regularly uses the port, knows the insides, and cares whether it
works as well as possible; he is personaly invested in it.)

In that sense, "openmaintainer" means nothing:
it means "I don't mind if you do my job for me".

Implementing fine-grained levels of open-maintainership
(with labels or Portfile declarations or whatever)
sounds like a commitee-designed paperwork nightmare.

(Am I actually allowed to propose this?
Oh, it has "minorrevisions" in the tags.
Is this a minor revision? I don't know?)

Ditch all that. If you have an idea about a port,
implement it (test it, etc) and propose it.
It is the maintainers job then to deal with it.